Re: backlash, apcc, ap v2, gtocp4, new gear mesh mounts

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

I'd be surprised if you would ever see problems with RA backlash if you have the worm mesh properly set - and then only if you slew or manually move the mount East at a speed faster than sidereal tracking.  Depending on the RA weight bias then you might see some backlash as the worm tries to catch up and track West again.  On cheaper mounts you can set a balance bias to the East to alleviate this problem but on an AP mount I can't imagine that would be required.

Since the RA motor never changes direction when tracking/guiding you simply cannot see backlash.  When you guide East it simply slows down or stops the RA tracking temporarily (for guide speeds up to 1x sidereal - I can't imagine ever going faster than 1x).

Michael Fulbright

On 4/23/2017 2:21 PM, dave@... [ap-gto] wrote:

The posts about guiding and backlash got me thinking about the apcc/ap v2 settings for backlash in the new mounts. quick question.

Do the newer mounts not use software to compensate for backlash? Is there no backlashin the newer mounts or do you physically remove backlash via the gearbox? Or is the backlash removed via the spring loaded gearbox? Maybe something else?

Thanks.

Dave.