Re: AP portable pier vs ATS portable pier

Michael Fulbright <mike.fulbright@...>

I have the non-folding HD tripod for my Mach1 (used for $350) and I can't imagine ever needing more.  As solid or more solid than the ATS pier I used to use with a NJP.  Setup takes a minute max.  Very nice that AP makes an adapter already and it is very reasonably priced.

Michael Fulbright

On 4/13/2017 4:44 PM, Bill Long bill@... [ap-gto] wrote:

I went with the Losmandy HD Folding Tripod for my 1100 and its been great. I added a 12" extension to the pier to get it up a little higher and its been rock solid.

From: ap-gto@... on behalf of cgsathome@... [ap-gto]
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:42 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: AP portable pier vs ATS portable pier

It is always interesting how different people look at things... It makes the world an interesting place!

I was sure that I wanted an ATS pier to hold my new 1100GTO at the time I got it.  That was two years ago, and I have since drilled auxiliary holes, added shelves, and glued velcro to my stock AP pier.

In practice, for me, it is almost always able to be leveled by selective tightening of the guys, and in the context of how long it takes me to setup, it doesn't really take much more time than a folding pier would (a few extra minutes out of an hour).  It also breaks down into a shorter and lighter package.

So for me, I am glad that I held off the ATS purchase and settled for the one that I am not afraid to kick around and punch extra holes in!  That doesn't mean that a shiny ATS pier isn't a delight and may well be the right answer for others!

Best regards,
Craig Smith

---In ap-gto@..., wrote :

Hello all,

I am new to the group and this is my first post. I am also considering purchasing an AP 1600 and this will be my first AP product. I have heard a lot of good things and am looking forward to getting one myself. George at Astrophysics was extremely helpful in clarifying my questions regarding the mount and the AP customer service is the single biggest reason why I am opting for AP over other mounts.

I do know that an ATS portable pier would probably be the best portable pier that I can get for the mount but it is considerably more expensive than the AP pier. I was wondering if I could get some help comparing these two options? My setup would spend a lot of time in my backyard observatory with occasional trips to a dark site and long focal length astrophotography is what the mount would primarily be used for.

Does ATS offer any more stability than AP pier does for the max load capacity of the mount?

I understand that leveling the AP pier can be a problem? Can this be solved by providing some sort of a base/platform or modification? Concrete leveling blocks etc?

What about the ease of setup? How difficult is it to transport and setup an AP pier?

If AP solves the problem and provides just as much stability, I would rather go for it but at the same time, I would hate to buy something and then be left wanting more.

I will appreciate any help I can get here.

Regards
Hemant