From: "Hemant Hariyani hemanthariyani@... [ap-gto]"
To: ap-gto@...
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2017 11:00:25 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP portable pier vs ATS portable pier

Hello Chris,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I would have never imagined something like rubber pads making that sort of a difference. Certainly something to keep in mind. ATS would be a dream pier. I will need to see if I can budget for it. If you are putting your ATS on astromart or something let me know, Buying used may be an option to consider.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
Hemant

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 8:16 PM, cford81@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

I used a portable 10" ATS pier for a while with my AP1600GTO before moving to a permanent ATS pier in my observatory. I also have used the AP Pier in the past. (My portable 10" ATS Pier I will sell shortly)

The big difference as you observe is that the ATS Pier can be leveled much more easily as each of the legs is adjustable over a greater range. It is certainly quite transportable but it is very solid and robust as well. It is also quicker to setup as you don't need to assemble the legs and turnbuckles, you just swing out the legs and secure them. Once assembled you could probably anchor a ship to an ATS pier and it would not move. In general for extreme stability at long focal lengths I found the ATS pier a more robust portable solution compared to the AP pier. (Which is certainly adequate for most uses) I remember once when doing long focal length work observing a slight shift as the mount shifted weight distribution because the metal pads were sliding on my patio slightly. When I changed the pads from metal to the hard rubber pads the problem went away. That is an option (I believe) you have with the ATS pier you don't with the AP pier. In general, I think the ATS pier is worth the additional expense.

Chris