From: "Hemant Hariyani hemanthariyani@... [ap-gto]"
To: ap-gto@...
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2017 12:57:12 PM
Subject: [ap-gto] AP portable pier vs ATS portable pier

Hello all,

I am new to the group and this is my first post. I am also considering purchasing an AP 1600 and this will be my first AP product. I have heard a lot of good things and am looking forward to getting one myself. George at Astrophysics was extremely helpful in clarifying my questions regarding the mount and the AP customer service is the single biggest reason why I am opting for AP over other mounts.

I do know that an ATS portable pier would probably be the best portable pier that I can get for the mount but it is considerably more expensive than the AP pier. I was wondering if I could get some help comparing these two options? My setup would spend a lot of time in my backyard observatory with occasional trips to a dark site and long focal length astrophotography is what the mount would primarily be used for.

Does ATS offer any more stability than AP pier does for the max load capacity of the mount?

I understand that leveling the AP pier can be a problem? Can this be solved by providing some sort of a base/platform or modification? Concrete leveling blocks etc?

What about the ease of setup? How difficult is it to transport and setup an AP pier?

If AP solves the problem and provides just as much stability, I would rather go for it but at the same time, I would hate to buy something and then be left wanting more.

I will appreciate any help I can get here.

Regards
Hemant