Thanks Joe ,
     Will keep an eye
Suresh

On 15-Feb-2017, at 12:56 AM, 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Suresh,

    Hope you find the cause of any “OVER” heating, but there is a positive benefit from some slight heating inside its case, such as you found in the motherboard’s idle mode. When you had to operate the mount controller at your recent high altitude site, at night and –20C, at least the quiescent heating kept the internal electronics operating in their normal room temperature state. Other electronics might have shut down in such cold.

    Don’t recall if there is any provision to completely idle the (DEC) servo motor, but I assume it keeps itself warm by just its motor coils doing “station-keeping”. Of course, the RA servo is always tracking so it shouldn’t get sluggish even in very extreme cold.

    I assume the gear lubricants are in good condition. Perhaps a short blast of a suitable dry silicone spray directly on the worm and its worm wheel might indicate some improvement in tests. Even the AeroSHELL-33 oil “separates out”  from its binding with the lube grease component,  after aging 4 years – the warranty period for that product fresh grease. Not likely the cause here, but your operating or storage environmental conditions may have pushed the limits. However this is stretch, as this is “aircraft lube”, is designed for flying in high altitude cold and desert heat.

Joe