Re: Problem with slewing to objects in West with 900GTO

Dick Locke

Phillip,thanks for the suggestions.  Please note that I have been operating in exactly this way (keypad plus computer) for 10 years with no problems so something has changed.

I also checked and set the keypad date/time/location so I don't think that's the problem.  I'm not getting any resets or anything to indicate the issue is electrical, not that that couldn't be related to the problem somehow.

I did use a meridian delay of an hour while point to the east if that may be in play in some way...

-Dick Locke

---In ap-gto@..., <ppml5@...> wrote :

Dick,

Using both keypad _and_ computer has been known
for a long time to cause problems. Just to get
the problem resolved... I would restart the
mount with _only_ the keypad. Using only the
keypad, slew to something bright and unmistakable
(like Betelgeuse), in the keypad database. After
the scope has gone to the wrong position, slew it
back to center on Betelgeuse, using _only_ the
keypad N S E W buttons. Then press Recal on the
keypad - NOT 'Sync' - just press Recal. Now,
slewing to other coordinates should work. If
there's still a problem then maybe the keypad
Date / Time / Location had got corrupted. Fix that and start again.
It could also be that (since it's winter) the
connections inside the keypad have become ohmic
(oxidised) - this is well known to cause keypad
problems (happened to me twice). Cleaning the
connections inside the keypad and using Deoxit-D5
is the cure - there have been plenty of write-ups
and I think there is one on the AP website. Good luck - hope this helps.

P.S. I have only ever used the keypad, since
1999, and have far fewer problems as a result.

Philip
-----

At 07:09 24/01/2017, you wrote:

>"All of a sudden" my GTO900 has problems slewing
>to objects in the west over the last couple
>nights. Everything seems fine with stuff in the
>East. I'm running keypad 4.12 and thought maybe
>that's related... I tried different startup
>modes, even changed the keypad clock to 2015, no joy.
>

>I'm using TheSky6 connected via serial cable
>from a Win XP laptop - same as I've used for many years.
>

>Starting from Beetlegeuse if I try to slew to
>Alnitak it slews off to the upper right towards
>taurus. If I try to slew from Beetlegeuse to
>Alnitak using the controller it tells me the object is below the horizon.
>

>Is this the firmware bug or something else? Any
>suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm
>a week-long astro trip and this is a real pain!
>

>-Dick Locke

Philip Perkins
<ppml5@...>
Wiltshire UK & Luberon France