Re: Any custom position possible on AP1100GTO with keypad?

Don Anderson

Chris
What is the SN of the keypad you modded and where did you source the ribbon cable and connector you used for the new display?

Don Anderson

From: "'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto]"
To: ap-gto@...
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 6:57 PM
Subject: RE: [ap-gto] Any custom position possible on AP1100GTO with keypad?

Marj and Roland know about my AP hand controller modifications.  AP is a cautious company that researches and tests changes like this very carefully before considering them for their products.  Certainly nothing wrong with that!

I could share the details of my changes but know that it will violate your AP warranty and you wouldn't be able to expect any technical support from George or Howard.  I would provide support for the display change but I accept no liability or obligation whatsoever if you were to attempt these changes.

FWIW, the OLED display is even readable in direct sunlight.  Not a great view but certainly readable enough to use while doing solar viewing or imaging.

Right now I have no idea if this module will work without modifications or voltage tweaks in all iterations of the AP hand controller that might exist.  I only have three AP hand controllers and have only retrofitted one of them with this OLED display.

Only attempt this retrofit AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 1:31 PM

Christopher, that sounds exactly like what I'd like from AP. I know the current keypad is very expensive. Although it would probably be cheaper with current technology I'd be willing to pay for an improved keypad. About the only time I use the keypad is during the day when I'm doing maintenance type stuff and it's a real PAIN.  Hope Marj hears about your design point.

Greg

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 6:13 PM

I replaced the display in one of my AP hand controllers with a red OLED display.  It works fine down to -40F (-40C) and is more readable in daylight than the old display.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 12:02 PM
Marj, "a new version"? I assume this is simply a firmware upgrade, but is there any thought to a hardware change that allows the display to be viewed in both daylight and night? I understand why the current design point was chosen several years ago, but perhaps  technology advances would give the advantages of the current design plus day time visibility.

Greg

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 3:16 PM

We are planning a new version to the keypad and have discussed additional park position options as a new feature.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen
Astro-Physics, Inc
11250 Forest Hills Rd
Machesney Park, IL 61115
Phone: 815-282-1513
Fax: 815-282-9847

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.