You need to be close (a couple of degrees) of polar alignment when you start. Then you let sharpcap plate solve the sky, rotate at least 90 degrees in RA, sharpcap plate solves again and shows you the rotational axis as well as the proper location of the polaris to be polar aligned. Turn your alt and az controls on the mount, iterate. I have then tested the resulting polar alignment with drift alignment and it is close enough for my short and medium focal length imaging. It reports my error as always under 2 arc-minutes of the pole but I wouldn't get too caught up in that.

The whole process is designed as a wizard so should be easy to learn and be done in 10 minutes.

Michael Fulbright

On 10/9/2016 2:51 PM, 'Tony Benjamin' tonybenjamin@... [ap-gto] wrote:

Hi Chris,

I do have a nice baader click lock diagonal and lots of nice eyepieces (naglers/ethos/etc). The OTA I am using is a Stellarvue SVQ100 astrograph (but I do have the adapter for visual with it).

Right now I am wishing I had gotten the RAPAS even if only using it for the one time PAsighI will probably be ordering it shortly.

I do have several 50mm finder scopes as well as several 12mm/20mm illuminated reticles but I dont have the correct shoe to mount them to the SVQ 100I have one ordered but hasnt arrived yet.

I have done DA using PHD2 with the CGEM. I will try and tackle DA with PEMPro as others have suggested.

I have no clue about adjusting for orthogonality (cone error)? But will be learning.

Thanks

From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...]
Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2016 11:33 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: RE: [ap-gto] AP1100GTO - Getting Better GoTo's

With no polar scope, no finder scope, no hand controller and a small-ish 4/3" camera chip (compared to a wide field eyepiece) and unknown orthogonality, you have set quite aninteresting challenge for yourself.

Sort of like one of those survivalist reality shows where the hero goes naked into the den of an angrygrizzly, covered in bacon grease and armed only with attitude and aQ-tip.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Get a cheap diagonal and low-powered eyepiece.

2. Get a polar scope. Even a used PASILL4 is way, way-better than nothing.

3. Get a cheap unity finder scope. Something like a Rigel Quickfinder or a Telrad.

4. Learn how to drift align.

5. Learn how to adjust your orthogonality.

6.Optionalbuthighly-desirable-geta new or usedAPhandcontroller.

I hope this helps!

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics