Re: Himalayas

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

My experience is similar to those saying not to worry. I routinely ran my old laptop down to -20C and below without problem. The secret is not to shut it down and let it get super cold. If it is running when you take it out into the temps you're describing, no problem. At least in many years of using a laptop as my observatory computer, as long as it was left on, I never had trouble.

Now, your monitor might complain but if you're managing the session remotely and the monitor isn't needed, I think you'll be fine.

Stuart (in Canada)

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Ron Wodaski rwodaski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

That’s not even cold, from the perspective of most laptops. :)

I’ve operated with a laptop at 5ºF, which is -15ºC.

Generally, however, I’ve found that if something is going to fail from the cold, it will do so somewhere below -5ºC. But that has never been a laptop or desktop for me - mostly mechanical systems start to get funky at those temps.

An SSD is better able to handle the cold than a HD, but a HD that does not have to be started at those temps is likely to be fine.

Where you might run into trouble is with the screen; some screens get pretty funky if they get very cold. You might want to prevent the screen from going to sleep.

Ron Wodaski
rwodaski@...