Re: Checking orthogonality during the day

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Joe, my guess is that nothing is going to stop the light down enough to use a ccd camera in daylight. Nothing short of an h-alpha filter for viewing the sun in which case my guess is you won't see any stars (other than the sun) with it.

Stuart

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 11:15 AM, 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi Chris,

    I would like to try “Daytime Ortho adjustment” using daytime target stars,  or  for PemPro alignment runs, but I have a - (possibly unfounded) - concern about using my STL-11000 in broad daylight. I realize CCD’s are even used to photograph the sun’s image – using a special solar filter, but I would hate to end up with a permanent “residual blot” on the sensor.  I discovered a half frame sized residual shadow in the middle of my Full Frame Kodak SLRN (same sensor as STL-11000, I believe),  when its RAW  “image DARKS”  brightness are pushed upward, toward extreme levels. I suspect I caused the DSLR burn from its first, overly long test exposure, on a full moon.

    I fear daytime exposures may damage the sensor, perhaps just using it this way, over some period of time. Also, not sure if I can get the STL’s shutter exposure time down far enough for daylight fast exposures,

    I suppose I could just use a H-alpha filter, but will this process also greatly diminish the star’s brightness, or just the background? Certainly would seem safer for the CCD sensor.

Joe Z.