Re: slewing sound level

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

Thanks Ron. What slew rate do you usually use?
At 1200 and 900 the Dec motor sounds like it is
really working. I felt like I was wearing it out just
doing about four passes (eight slews) back and forth between
Pollux and Polaris to get a semi good polar alignment.

Rich

Roland says you can do a one-star alignment if you are either already polar
aligned, or don't care to increase the accuracy of your rough alignment. To
do this, start the two-star alignment, and quit after the first star. The
mount will cheerfully accept. I haven't tried this yet, but it would a
great
convenience for casual observing: all the benefits of the goto features
without the hassle of a precision polar alignment.