PoleMaster - results


Ok, I've tried PoleMaster 4 times now with my AP900. I have the camera mounted on the dovetail of my Planewave scope as I've previously explained. It is very easy and quick to use. However, I'm disappointed in the results. Everything I've heard says it's possible to get within 30" of alignment. I've used PEMPro to measure my results. At best I'm getting an error of 7' in RA and 12' in dec. This is not very good. If I was off by 2' or 3', I'd say I just needed to be more careful, but this error tells me something is wrong. I used my RAPAS which normally gives me an error of about 3' (yes I should calibrate it better), then let PoleMaster tell me to move it way off this point. 

The procedure is so simple that I don't see how I could have messed it up this bad. I really think there is an error in the PoleMaster software (version 1.3.0). Maybe it's not correctly figuring out the displacement of Polaris. The procedure is so fool proof it should give better results. All I really know is that I can't get anywhere near the accuracy I've heard others get. 30" might be a dream but it seems like the procedure should easily get me with 2' or so.

I guess spending more time with PEMPro is my only option for improving polar alignment. I'm really eager to hear well PoleMaster works as more people try it out. Surely I'm not the only one having problems with it.


Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.