Re: Mach1 vs Myt

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Echoing Marj's point. If you're going to drive with TSX and the T-Point Add-On, it will give you the same quick adjust directions for the Mach1 as it does for the MyT. So that point should be a wash. I use TSX and T-Point with both my Paramount ME and my AP900GTO and it gives me super fast advice on polar alignment for both mounts.

Stuart

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Marj marj@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Mark,

You can also use T-Point with the Mach1.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2016 1:24 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach1 vs Myt

Hi Suresh,

I used both mounts for a couple of months now to decide which one to use long-term. I am not 100% final decided by lean towards the MyT.

Here are my reasons (I don't claim at all that these are scientifically proven, it's just my impression and experience):

Mach1:

• feels a little more sturdy then the MyT
  • polar alignment with Rapas is a breeze - but not as accurate as the MyT
  • polar alignment mechanics are very accurate (no backlash, screws are easy to turn)
  • initial, rough altitude alignment is super fast (don't have to turn the screw all the way up)
  • I'm only doing imaging, so I'm not using the great handcontroller at all
  • the eagle pier is much more sturdy then the MyT pier (I plan to make an adapter plate for it and use it with the MyT)

MyT

• polar alignment with T-Point is pretty quick and VERY accurate
  • there is a little bit of backlash in the Azimuth polar alignment and it's more difficult to turn the screw then the Mach1
  • T-Point feels much more mature then APCC (UI and features). I leave my scope outside a lot and can do a quick realignment in the evening with T-Point
  • the joystick-handcontroller is GREAT for quickly slewing somewhere (and I don't need the built-in computer as I always use the mount through a computer)
  • the wormgears aren't sealed but are more protected then the wormgears of the Mach1 - I had some dust accumulated when I took the Mach1 into a dusty, windy place
  • the through-the mount cabling and the versa-plate (with several cables already through the mount) of the MyT is great - I didn't need to route any cable myself

I think this is everything. The good news is that both mounts are REALLY good - there isn't a wrong choice. As I said, I'll probably stick with the MyT mount (on top of the AP Eagle pier) and sell the Mach1.

Happy to answer more questions or provide more detail.

Mark

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 9:48 PM, look-up1@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

LOL, its a AP group, why even ask?  Get the Mach1, cant go wrong for portable use.
If he is comfortable with computer control, don't get the hand paddle with the mount.

Tom

On 3/26/2016 1:56 PM, Suresh Mohan drsureshmohan@... [ap-gto] wrote:

Dear friends ,
My friend is in a dilemma between getting one of these two mounts for astrophotography . Like me he will have to go to a dark site every session. He is unable to decide . I'm sure In our group there are owners of both mounts as well . For me I love the hand controller , but he s used to EQMOD and laptop . He s used to Phd for polar aligning . He s got two weeks to decide . I know both are good mounts and myt has a lot of electronics . He will be based in india . Kindly guide me accordingly which I will convey to him,
Suresh

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.