Re: Lost power on Mach 1

Don Anderson

Yes, when the natural rubber decays, it could be difficult to extract. Maybe a stick pin with the end bent into a hook would work. I suspect your estimate of a year life for the elastic could be generous even. I will try it and see.

On Feb 25, 2016, at 4:11 PM, 'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Don,

    I too thought about inserting “something springy” into the power socket split. However, elastic bands have a life of about a year before they decay, and make a mess. Neoprene rubber might last much longer, perhaps a slice from some cooking material, like cupcake baking molds or gloves, etc.

    Even so, I suspect that the split pin will still collapse, after a period, and any rubber insert will then just stay crushed against the stronger force of the steel pin sides. Extraction for cleanup, may be more trouble than it is worth. Then whatever crumbles inside the CP3 will remain inside.

    In hindsight, maybe a twist lock might have been a better idea, but every connector has some kind of an unexpected problem.
I wonder if this one is more prevalent in portable setups, with continual power plug extraction, compared to fixed installations.

Joe