From: ap-gto@... on behalf of pnagy@... [ap-gto]
Sent: Saturday, 30 January 2016 1:06 a.m.
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Com port problems

I had somewhat similar issue. I have Optec Focus Boss II which came with USB-to-Serial adpater plus another adapter for A-P mount. This means I have two serial ports for my setup. I use Device Manager to find out the COM port numbers but the device manager never tells me the actual device (Optec or A-P mount) so I had to guess. For example, if the device manager said one COM port is #5 and other is #7, initially I would think that Optec belonged to COM port #5 and A-P mount belonged to #7 and if that didn't work, then I would swap COM port numbers and then it would work. From then on, it would retained the same COM port numbers for both devices and I would no longer have issues. FTDI chipset allows to retained same COM port numbers as long as you don't change anything else like changing USB hubs with different brands.

Peter

---In ap-gto@...,
"Probably uninstall and reinstall weren't required."

Maybe not for you... :)

Is there a way to tell what com port is assigned to what device from within device manager?
joel

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 8:24 PM, 'Christopher Erickson' christopher.k.erickson@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Probably uninstall and reinstall weren't required.  Just matching the OS assigned device COM port numbers with the various program com port targets.

I blame Microsoft for making COM port management in Windows way more complicated and unintuitive than it needed to be.  They could have had a simple, graphic tool in the Control Panel that took care of everything but they didn't.  I guess it just wasn't a priority.

Of course its only geeks and technical applications that need serial ports these days.  The average noob with a USB keyboard, mouse, printer and Internet router doesn't need or understand serial ports and how important they are in the technical/scientific world.

What's more unsettling is that supposedly there are less PC's in homes these days than there were five years ago.  And over twice as many smartphones, tablets and smart TV's.

Sad.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics