Steve, thanks for the video link. I watched a video this morning that introduced me to a masking approach in PI that is very flexible and easy:

Anyway, this thread is really about Tom so I'll stop there. ;-)

Stuart

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 10:13 AM, 'Steven Reilly' sreilly24590@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

While I prefer to stay with PI 100% I do find there are times when I slip back into PS usage and one of these areas is with final noise reduction. It’s very possible in PI, in fact there are a number of ways to do so, but if I’m pushed for time I’ll open the image (usually in 16 bit TIFF format if I’m in PS now), create a copy and create a mask in the copy and use noise reduction in PS as an initial start. I follow this video as a method to start and then I select the layer the noise reduction is being done in and use Noise Ninja on the image to reduce noise only in the background. The same type of method can be done in PI but I haven’t really figured it out just yet. There are also a number of forum threads on PI that address this very subject. I do it this way sometimes because I already owned the software.

Steve

From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...]
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2016 8:22 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Sharpless 2-157

Really pretty image Tom! I'm just learning PI myself and have the same challenges with the image going soft during the noise reduction. Steve's comments are where I'd go too - a tad soft, maybe back off the NR or do it in PS while you refine your PI process.

Stuart

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Tom Carrico tom@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Been a long time since I posted here. Been way too busy getting used to
retirement and getting set up at Sierra Remote Observatory. Also
spending lots of time learning PixInsight. This image is one of my first
where I mostly used PixInsight for processing. I also used Photoshop for
some levels tweaking and getting it ready for the web. While I like the
overall look and think it is a pretty picture, I am a bit worried that I
may have gone to far on the noise reduction, maybe it is too smooth. You
will have to look at the full size version to see what I mean. I would
be very interested in comments (I have a very thick skin).

Let me know what you all think:

http://ccdargo.com/sh2_157_SRO_AP_STT_RGB.htm

Thanks

Tom C