Stuart is trying to help me figure out the issue. I should mention that it only happened once and I didn't change any software settings prior to the slew in the wrong direction. I do have the ASCOM driver set to "resume from last parked" which is always Park position 3. Incorrect initialization if certainly a possibility. I'll check the settings in CdC.

Thanks!

Note: Looking at the date, I think I was wrong about using APCC to initialize the mount. I was still evaluating APCC and didn't want to mess with anything before I finished a mosaic. That means I would have used Pulse guide for initialization.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 11:43 PM, Don Anderson jockey_ca@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Stuart
It sounds like your software is sending the wrong initialization parameters to the mount when you start up causing the mount to think it is pointing somewhere that it is not. If you park the mount in for example, AP park position 3 then shut down, when you start up again, you simply need to have your software that is initializing the mount (AP Ascom V2 driver) tell the mount to "resume from park 3" or "resume from last parked". If you used resume from last parked, It doesn't matter where you park it.
Hope this helps

Don Anderson

From: "Stuart Heggie stuart.j.heggie@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...>
To: "ap-gto@..." <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2015 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Sync without the hand controller

Dave, I believe you must always initialize on a star East of the meridian. Could that be it?

Stuart

On Monday, 21 December 2015, D Sidote dsidote@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi Stuart,

I made that mistake early on when I first got the mount. I now make sure that the time displayed in the APCC status window it correct when I start up.

I think I am just not understanding the process for starting up and the initial sync when not using the hand controller. Everytime SGP does a plate solve its syncs which would be converted to a recal, but what about the initial plate solve? Would that automatically be a sync?

Dave

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Stuart Heggie stuart.j.heggie@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Any chance the time zone offset has the wrong sign?

Stuart

On Monday, 21 December 2015, dsidote@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

The other night I tried to slew my mount to my imaging target and the mount unexpectedly went the wrong way. Nothing happened as I was there to stop the slew, but I would like to understand why. The date, time, lat/long were all correct. I assume its an issue with syncing.

My mount is permanently setup and polar aligned, so all I have to do it mount the telescope and plug in the computer to be ready for imaging. I use sequence generator pro to automate everything along with phd for autoguiding, and Cartes du ciel for planetarium. I do not use the hand controller.

This is my workflow:

1. Start up APCC, and initialize the mount
2. Connect SGP, Phd, CdC
3. slew to the object in CdC
4. Plate solve in SGP (which performs a sync) to frame the object (I have sync -> recal checked in ASCOM driver)
5. Start taking images

6. finish taking images
7. park the mount
8. disconnect CdC, Phd, SGP
9. close APCC
10. power off

so...

Do I need to uncheck the sync -> recal for the initial sync or is the first rcal automatically a sync?

How does one clear a sync and start over?

I did search the yahoo group and the manuals but couldn't find the answers.

Thanks!
Dave

--
Stuart Heggie