Re: Azimuth adjustment?

Steven

Hi Bill,

I was waiting with baited breath to see what the 'official' reply was on this. I just set up my own AP1100 a month ago and had the same problem you describe. I was quite afraid of turning them too hard so as not to break anything.

There's nothing clear in the book, oh, there's a short sentence which you have to read very carefully to get the idea, but finally I got proactive about it, and just tried it out (a friend who owns a bigger mount told me never to touch those screws, but it made sense to try it out). Then I wrote to George at Ap to get his blessings. I have a feeling this is a delicate point somewhere at the AP offices, don't know (they know a lot of stuff, don't worry). He was somewhat surprised either of them required adjustment because he said they were adjusted at the factory before shipping. I suspect temperature differences are the cause of the discrepancy, don't know.

Anyway, the cure: There are two recessed allen key screws on the base, have a look, they point inward, you can't miss them, only two. Move one of them in the c/cw position (un-screw) a very very very very little bit until you feel that nice smooth buttery tension they talk about on the azimuth adjusters. Just do one at a time, they both might not need any adjustment, and for heaven sake don't move it one millimetre more than you have to - its bum might fall off.  ;-_)))

Have fun, I hope you enjoy the mount as much as I do. They've done the hobby and the profession a real treat in making something that works as a mount is supposed to work.

Clear skies,

Steve E

Sent: Tuesday, 22 December 2015 1:04 a.m.
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] Azimuth adjustment?

I'm new to AP mounts and had a question about a new mount. When trying out the azimuth adjustment, I found the adjusters much harder to turn than expected. This being when they are actually pushing against the center block. They will adjust, but they take a very firm grip to turn. At first I thought they were locked and didn't want to force them, but not finding anything about lock downs in the manual, I tried again with more force, and they do work. But, I wouldn't call them buttery smooth like the altitude adjustment

This being my first day of ownership, I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal, and thought I would ask. I was thing perhaps this adjustment is tight to keep the mount base from being sloppy?

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.