Re: clutch tightening

George

Steve,

There is not a right or wrong answer to your question.   Here is the wording from the manual:

How tight can the clutch be and can you do any damage by pushing against them?
The clutches cannot be damaged by tightening; however, it is not necessary to tighten them as you would tighten the lug nuts of your car’s wheel.  You will see that each clutch knob has a 5/32 hex socket for tightening with a hex key. With an extra 1/3 turn beyond hand tightening on each clutch knob, the axis (axes) will be considered completely “locked up” and you should not attempt to push your scope by hand against this “locked up” resistance, or undue stress will be placed on the worm wheel / worm and bearings.

Naturally, if you have a very heavy load, it is advisable to tighten the clutch knobs more than is necessary when a lighter payload is mounted.  When imaging you’ll want to ensure that the clutches are tighter so that there is no slippage.  Some recommendations follow.

As a final note, There is not a single “right way” to use the clutches, just as there is no perfect all-purpose telescope.  Here are some hints and guidelines:

The longer and / or heavier the scope, the tighter you will want the clutches

The more accurate the balancing, the less clutch tension that will be required

Permanent setups will generally have tighter clutches than portable setups.

Imaging setups will generally have tighter clutches than visual setups.

Loosen clutches for transport to avoid putting any undue stress on the worm gear.”

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.