Re: Losing my marbles - need help

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Steve, this is new to me! Thanks for this idea. I definitely have "Treat sync as RCAL" checked in the driver but never thought it mattered where in the sky I performed that sync.

Stuart

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 10:20 PM, 'Steven Reilly' sreilly24590@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Use a star on the east side of the meridian and maybe also check the ASCOM driver for sync being treated as recal. I’m on squad duty right now and can’t tell you the full text in the driver but this is an option that helps keep the syncs from doing just what happened to you.

Steve

Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2015 10:18 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Losing my marbles - need help

Steve, no, Arcturus is low in the Southwest for me right now.

Stuart

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 10:14 PM, 'Steven Reilly' sreilly24590@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

So you are syncing on a star east of the meridian?

Steve

Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2015 9:52 PM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] Losing my marbles - need help

Seriously. Last night my AP900GTO CP2 behaved perfectly. My camera on the other hand ...

Tonight, clear again, camera working properly again, the mount has totally lost its mind. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong nor what I'm doing differently.

AP900GTO CP2 E1 chip

TSX Latest Daily Build

ASCOM connection to the mount via the ASCOM Astro-Physics GTO v2 Mount driver

I had to move the scope to remove the camera this morning. I put the camera back on this pm. At twilight I manually moved the mount to point at Arcturus. Tighten the RA and Dec knobs firmly.

I click on the FIND tab, type in Arcturus, click FIND. Up comes all the detail. I then go to the Telescope tab, click on StartUp->Synchronize and tell it to sync on Arcturus, into the existing model which should behave like a RCAL per the ASCOM driver advanced tab.

TSX then reports that I'm pointed at Arcturus and I see a close-up of the FOV with my chip superimposed on the star field and Arcturus centre of the chip.

I then try moving the scope to a nearby star and it flies off into an entirely different part of the sky and is clearly about to dive below horizontal and hit the pier with the camera. I try every combination of clicks (all of which worked before) and no matter what I try after syncing on Arcturus, the scope slews wildly in the wrong direction.

I'm stumped.

--

--

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.