Re: Mount query in J2000 or JNow?

Howard Hedlund

The mount does not use epochs.   It has no clue regarding which epoch is being used and cannot respond to an epoch query.   No epoch conversions are done by the mount.   It accepts whatever coordinates are fed to it, and spits those same coordinates back out.   The GTOCP3 is simply a servo control.   It does not have a concept of the sky, but does basic calculations to go from point A to point B.   The GTOCP3 depends on the controlling software to send the correct coordinates.   This is to avoid double precession calculations.

·         The keypad takes the catalog coordinates in its database (J2000) and precesses them to JNow before sending them to the mount.   Therefore, GoTos done from the keypad are precessed to JNow.

·         Most other software programs can be set to either send the catalog J2000 coordinates or to send precessed JNow coordinates.

·         The most critical thing is that you aren’t mixing up the epochs.

Mag. 7 Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

P Consider the environment before printing this e-mail.