APCC | VIRTUAL V2 ASCOM HUB PORTS | VIRTUAL ASCOM PORTS

Tom Ellis

APCC and VIRTUAL PORT CONNECTION CLARIFICATION (I hope):  I like to think I understand a lot more confuser stuff than the average bear, right boo-boo.  WRONG!  I have recently created an unnecessary brouhaha because of both complacency and failure to appreciate an application that is head and shoulders above what I have be accustomed to over the years.  APCC is ROCKET SCIENCE!  I say this because the concept of both a hub and access point to me is so foreign that I didn't even consider it.  I wont go into computer background let's say it spans over 54 years.  In my opinion APCC is a game changer that other virtual port programs will eventually embrace.

Now that I have groveled let me see if I can present straight forward what I did not grasp on the first pass.  The ASCOM V2 DRIVER IS DIFFERENT!!!

It is both a V2 ASCOM SINGLE PORT MULTI-APP CONNECTION HUB and a SINGLE APP PORT using ASCOM (non AP V2) CONNECTION DEVICE.

That means if you are connecting using the ASCOM V2 driver you come in on ONE APCC VIRTUAL PORT for as many programs that are configured identically.  Each and every time you select ASCOM V2 DRIVER in each of the apps (SkyX, FocusMax4, MaxDL, SkyTools3 etc.) your CHOSE PROPERTY is going to be the same APCC virtual port which will be brought up.

Now, the difference comes in what you if you do not use the AP V2 Driver but someone else's ASCOM driver you must designate a different VP and this app will be the only thing on that port. NOTE: IF THE APCC PORT SCREEN COMES UP YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG! First create different virtual port (there are a possibility of three V2 will occupy the fourth) in APCC When your other than V2 driver is selected and you bring up the properties and select the virtual port that you have separately created in APCC.

This subtlety passed my by and I owe extreme thanks to Howard as AP for taking the time to unscrew my false logic and get me going.

I hope this firmly grounds some old timer who has suffered through everything since DOS2 and missed the plane change in LAX.

Aloha and clear skies

Tom in Kauai