Re: How to improve pointing

Christopher Erickson

It's not the mount.

It's the OTA and it's dovetail bracket, rings, focuser, diagonal, adapters, flexure and collimation.

We are squaring the DEC axis with the OTA's optical axis.

1. Make sure everything about the OTA/focuser/rings/dovetail/etc. are tight and smooth.  No flexure anywhere.
2. Do a careful collimation, as appropriate for OTA type.
3. Evaluate flexure as described in the AP manual.
4. Shim one of the ends of the OTA's rings/base/dovetail with appropriate material, such as cuttings from the side of an aluminum pop can.
5. Only one end will ever need to be shimmed, not both.

Note that future collimation changes will effect orthogonality.

Also note that when polar aligned and the OTA has no flexure, orthogonality-induced pointing error will only be in the E-W direction.  This can help to find objects quickly in spite of suffering from orthogonality error.

I hope this helps.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics