Re: Remote Control Methods

Ross Salinger <rgsalinger@...>

TeamViewer works as well as anything and it’s free. It works fine over a LAN (very fast), you just need to enter the ip address of the partner, not the Teamviewer identifier.

To make the LAN configuration work you do need (duh) either a wireless router or to set up an ad hoc network which is not very hard if both computers have wifi built into them.

From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...]
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 8:36 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Remote Control Methods

Just reading up on RealVNC. Looks good, I probably will download a trial of the $30 personal version.

On Mar 11, 2015, at 8:22 AM, Stuart Heggie stuart.j.heggie@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Gregg, that is good to know. Is RealVNC freeware?

I used to use UltraVNC locally over my private network but someone told me that Teamviewer uses the local network vs Internet if it can. Seems to work but it is light on details. Useful though for when I'm at my observatory location which is at our farm. With almost three feet of snow and 200 yards to cross in the dark, nice to not need to strap on snowshoes and traipse out there in the cold and instead use a fast local wireless connection vs my slower Internet signal.

Stuart

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015, Gregg Ruppel ruppelgl@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Hi Stuart

I have been using RealVNC for several years with good results.  Response is usually very fast but of course depends on your internet connection.

Clear skies,

Gregg

On Mar 11, 2015, at 7:48 AM, Stuart Heggie stuart.j.heggie@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Wayne, I use Teamviewer and really like it. It is free.

Stuart

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015, wayneh9026@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Wondering how others are doing remote access of their systems? I was able to remotely operate mount, Focuser, and camera from my iPad using GoToMyPC, which mirrors the remote computer screen. Slow response, but it was workable. Are there better/more efficient methods? Thanks!

--
Stuart Heggie

--
Stuart Heggie