Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hi 96738

On Mar 9, 2015 2:22 PM, "'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Yes, I was indeed thinking of the old external PCI card slots.

    However, trying to use “internal connectors”, assuming they are there, and can be easily identified,  would be a hassle for the “average” user. It would require popping off the back cover, hoping that “some” third party  PCI card would fit. Then there is the problem of routing a cable to a DB-9 external connector. I guess you would have the option to not replace the underside laptop cover, to be able to lead a ribbon cable to the outside from that card. Finally, the risk that there isn’t a Windows-xx driver for that PCI serial port connector position.

    Doesn’t seem like an easy hack. I guess if it were, somebody would have posted the complete process and pictures by now. Has anybody got that working reliably?

Joe

Sent: Monday, March 09, 2015 5:08 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Crash in AP ASCOM driver
I suspect you are thinking about external card slots and I am talking about hidden, internal bus connectors.  Most modern laptops have one to three internal mini-PCI Express connectors and there is a good chance that one of them is open.  At least one will have a WIFI card installed.  It might be a combination WIFI and Bluetooth card.

Most people don't know about the internal Mini-PCI Express connectors.

Sent via Android on a Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hi 96738