Re: Crash in AP ASCOM driver

Christopher Erickson

Check out the link I sent.  These cards exist specifically for this purpose.  But yes, you will have to cut a hole in the bottom of the case cover to get the cables threaded to the outside.  The more common use of these cards is in brick and blade computers.

Sent via Android on a Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hi 96738

On Mar 9, 2015 2:22 PM, "'Joseph Zeglinski' J.Zeglinski@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Yes, I was indeed thinking of the old external PCI card slots.

However, trying to use “internal connectors”, assuming they are there, and can be easily identified,  would be a hassle for the “average” user. It would require popping off the back cover, hoping that “some” third party  PCI card would fit. Then there is the problem of routing a cable to a DB-9 external connector. I guess you would have the option to not replace the underside laptop cover, to be able to lead a ribbon cable to the outside from that card. Finally, the risk that there isn’t a Windows-xx driver for that PCI serial port connector position.

Doesn’t seem like an easy hack. I guess if it were, somebody would have posted the complete process and pictures by now. Has anybody got that working reliably?

Joe

Sent: Monday, March 09, 2015 5:08 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Crash in AP ASCOM driver
I suspect you are thinking about external card slots and I am talking about hidden, internal bus connectors.  Most modern laptops have one to three internal mini-PCI Express connectors and there is a good chance that one of them is open.  At least one will have a WIFI card installed.  It might be a combination WIFI and Bluetooth card.

Most people don't know about the internal Mini-PCI Express connectors.

Sent via Android on a Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hi 96738

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.