Re: Crash in AP ASCOM driver

Christopher Erickson

I would have to research that a bit to try to come up with a matrix of all of the configuration scenarios but it would be faster to just try it and see what happens.

In my experience, poor drivers, bad/oxidized/noisy connections, noisy/unshielded cables and poor-quality USB devices account for 98% of all USB and USB/Serial communication problems.

A good, brand-name USB hub (NOT Belkin) and cables might be the biggest improvement.

And if you can install a native serial port, that might be the best solution of all.  And if you have a laptop, sometimes it is even possible to add a physical serial port or two with a Mini-PCI card, if you have an open Mini-PCI slot.

USB can be fast, but it is a cheap, nasty interface with a lot of limitations.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Sent: Monday, March 09, 2015 8:05 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Crash in AP ASCOM driver

Chris,

I have been thinking about changing my USB-2 hub to a USB-3 hub. It already plugs into a USB-3 native laptop port, so I think it might help improve data traffic congestion, with a faster pipeline. I know the devices are only USB-2, but with a 7-port hub, the speed to the laptop of all that data mix should improve, and possibly reduce conflicts coming into the hub.

My only concern is whether the existence of just a single USB-2 device might trigger the USB-3 hub to operate strictly at USB-2 speeds, including sending the mix to the laptop.

Joe

Sent: Monday, March 09, 2015 1:07 PM
Subject: RE: [ap-gto] Re: Crash in AP ASCOM driver

Various USB burst data transfer modes can do that.  It's a USB issue.

Best solution might be to install a real serial port and avoid the USB bus.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.