Re: Replacement azimuth clamps for 600E series

Ron Wodaski <ronw@...>

For anyone who would like to lay there mount down, there is a good option
from the same source. The parts I have outlined on my web site are "normally
engaged," in the sense that, if you turn the handle, the screw turns as
well. you can lift the handle a quarter of an inch to disengage, and
reposition the handle.

McMaster-Carr offers another little handle, which just arrived today, that
is "normally disengaged." That is, the handle turns freely, but if you press
down on the handle, it engages the screw and you can adjust it. This has the
nice safety feature that if you bump the handle at any time, you will not
change the tension on the screw. The part information is:

Part number 6610K33, "Teardrop plastic safety adjustable clamping handle M6
threaded stud, 20mm stud length, 35mm handle"

The plastic looks like it would tolerate moisture well. I have not installed
this part on my mount (it's packed up for a trip to Arizona right now), but
I will give these a try in a week or two and report back.

Ron Wodaski