Re: Jupiter Triple Transit animation.

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Mark, that is a very cool shot and a great story to go with it!  Thanks for sharing.

Stuart

On Sunday, January 25, 2015, Mark Jenkins mark@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

It's been a while since the duo at the Big Cigar Observatory has done
anything photographically.

We do get out for visual a few times per year but I got a feeling that
is going to change.

The past Saturday morning we were very fortunate to have the clouds
part just in time for the triple transit.

I scurried to get the ImagingSource DFK series USB, one shot color
640x480 planetary camera and a good cable together. I checked that the
software was still working on the Mac, grabbed my eyepiece case and
headed down to the observatory around 10:30 pm, Friday.

We observed Jupiter through the 180 F7 for a while but I was anxious to
make sure we could get everything working, focused, exposure settings,
etc. Around 11:30 we mounted the camera to the 180 F7.

Here is the result from a 1 minute, 30fps video file. I know this is
nothing to write home about as far as image quality is concerned but we
were only operating at f12.6. And seeing was not that great. It was good
enough to get the shot and for that I am very grateful. That being
said, image scale, even for Jupiter, is an issue at this focal length.

http://www.pcsincnet.com/Registax_AutoStakked__Jupiter012415_0025_g3_ap8_conv_Rev2.jpg

Since we had 29, 1 minute files, I decided to try my hand at an
animation of the transit.

http://www.pcsincnet.com/FJupiterTripleTransit012415.wmv

You can actually watch as The Shadow from Europa and Europa itself are
in sync in their movement. Callisto is to the left of Europa's shadow
and as we were watching this live on the video monitor, we were trying
to figure out why we were seeing 4 shadows instead of 3. lol

Can't make out Io which is between the two shadows in the center to
right/top.

Right after the shadow of Io left the planet, the clouds rolled back in
and a perfectly clear night went away in a blink of the eye.

We had a blast watching and capturing this event.

-Mark