Re: New member: AP GTO on Parallax mount

Mike Mah

Hi Charles,

Yes, my problems are likely from sloppy initial setup.

On my GTO, the hand controller plugs into the GTO control panel
(GTOCP2) which is portable and in its own little pouch and not built
into the mount, as I believe it is on the AP mounts. This control panel
accepts RS232 input from other programs and I have used Digital
SkyVoice with it (at home anyways).

Thanks,

Mike Mah

"charles sinsofsky" <strfir-@attglobal.net> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto/?start=456
OK, hello,

One last note, inside the mount itself is more code, above and
beyound
that what is in the hand controller, sometimes it is possible
depending on
your code base, I do not know what code would be in a paralex 'bought
the
a/p goto system' e-prom code base, the hand controller first decides
if it
is safe to move to an object, the code there will say 'fine' and send
the
mount the ra/dec cords though it is possible that the mount itself
will
refuse. this is a safety feature built into the code base in the mount
because not everyone uses the mount with a hand controller. remember
the a/p
goto system can be used directly from a p.c. if the given computer
program
being used did not check for horizon it could technically inform the
mount
to move the scope into the pier...we placed in additional checks for
horizon
to compensate for just that type of case. this code has over time
been even
more refined, so because of this, I am not sure what level of code
would be
in your given gto system, as opposed to the latest and greatest one
in a
given a/p gto mount right now.

But I would not worry about it...really..

- Charles Sinsofsky
Author: DigitalSky Voice, and contributor to the A/P mount GTO
system.
www.digitalskyvoice.com