Re: Maximum SAFE shimming thickness under a DOVELM162 clamp set ?

Christopher Erickson

Sorry for the delay in answering your message. I have been really-busy.

The VYSOS-20 RCOS telescope flexure is very predictable. Solution has been
to have a good T-Point model and use variable tracking rates at different
altitudes above the horizon. The scope is operating without an autoguider
because the scientists don't want to use a rotator to find guide stars
because they are building image mosaics and don't want to rotate the camera.
Yes, I know that camera rotation is not an unsolvable problem when building
mosaics. I just have not yet convinced the right person to experiment with
a different solution. The 3600GTO mount is so solid and versatile that
T-point and custom tracking have given them what they want.

I don't think that loosening and resettling all of the trusses on an RCOS
scope will have any positive effect on flexure.

I don't think that a drop in shipment would contribute to flexure unless
something was actually broken. Maybe check the bonding between the truss
tubes and truss tube connectors to make sure that there hasn't been a glue
bond failure someplace.

I don't think that polar aligning on both sides of the meridian would have
much effect. Sounds like chasing gophers down rabbit holes with a Jeep.
Lots of effort, cursing & dust and not much in results.

Personally I would polar-align, do a good T-point model and then autoguide.
After all, just about all scopes have some optical-axis flexure and you can
never eliminate all of it. Trusses, plates, mirror cells, secondary
assemblies, tubes, focusers, threadings, couplings, brackets, coupling
clearances, fasteners, rotators, bearings, bushings, cameras, etc.

I hope this helps.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics