From: Ron Wodaski <ronw@...>
To: ap-gto@... <ap-gto@...>
Date: Friday, March 24, 2000 5:29 PM
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: FW: (SBIGUSER) Takahashi Mounts

I received the bat-wing handles from McMaster-Carr today. Part number
6848K36 works very well, and I will have images up shortly showing what it
is and how it works out. Briefly, it has threads that match the AP-supplied
M6x1 20mm cap screw supplied by AP for the base of the AP 600 mounts. The
bat-wind handle is 40mm in length. A spring causes the handle and the M6x1
screw to engage each other, so that if you turn the handle, you are turning
the screw. If you lift up on the handle, you can reposition it without
engaging the M6x1 screw.

When in place on my AP 600 GTO mount, one-quarter turn is sufficient to
release tension and adjust the mount in azimuth, so I may not even have to
dis-engage. However, you NEED the spring-loaded release mechanism to attach
the handle to the mount, since you cannot turn 360 degrees, only about 180.

Another positive is that I no longer have to have an Allen wrench handy for
tightening and loosening these. Finally, when I have the tension just
right,
I can move the bat-wing handle flush with the mount base by lifting it and
repositioning it.

A nice solution to the problem.

The other parts are on back order, will let you know if any of those are
useful.

Ron Wodaski