From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...] On Behalf Of Steve Reilly
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2013 11:29 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: RE: RE: Re: [ap-gto] UPDATE: Serial port connectivity issues

If the observatory is a fixed installation I couldn’t imagine running on anything else. The laptop is great for portability but limited as to what can be connected without using hubs and converters. I have all the serial ports I need and a bunch of USB 2/3 ports to choose from and can add more if needed. When I build an observatory computer the main consideration in motherboard choice is expansion slots. Forget the 2/3 PCIe slots for video cards, it’s not a gaming machine. 1 PCIe slot for video is plenty and then you need expansions slots for add-on cards to support Serial cards and USB cards. A prime example is one that would have say 3 PCI expansion slots and 1 or 2 PCI Express X1 slots.

I use an APC 7900 for remote power control but I’ve heard the less expensive Digital Loggers switch works well too. I keep power on all 4 PCs on 24/7 and laptop when using. Here in Virginia I average $200 a month for a 4,100 square foot home and observatory.

As for remote, many use IP addressable power control switches as mentioned above, I also have an IP camera that can pan and has ir that I can switch off when imaging. But you could also power off the PC and have it set in BIOS to start in the on state when power is restored. You can also wake by network. There are many ways to accommodate the needs of remote. But one this is certain, at least for me, if the observatory is a long ways remote, I’ll have someone that can reasonably respond nearby if needed in an emergency. Cause stuff happens.

-Steve