Re: Serial port connectivity issues

Christopher Erickson

Looking forward to it Capt'n!

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...] On Behalf Of chris1011@...
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2013 11:21 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] RE: Serial port connectivity issues

WoW! You really have this all figured out. Can you outfit my new observatory in Kohala? :^))

Rolando
-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto
Sent: Fri, Oct 18, 2013 4:18 pm
Subject: RE: [ap-gto] RE: Serial port connectivity issues

Works like a million bucks, has a secure remote web interface and can even be configured to ping network devices and automatically reboot them if they stop responding.  You can even have it ping a remote device and reboot your Internet router if it can't get through.  Also supports scripting, scheduling, smartphones and logging.

I have been using them for years in my day-job and not a single failure yet.

And at $129, they are dirt-cheap.

There are a number of similar products out there from Black Box, APC, etc. but none of them can beat the bang-for-the-buck ratio of the Digital-Loggers Web Power Switches.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...] On Behalf Of ngliatis@...
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2013 10:55 AM
To: ap-gto@...
Subject: [ap-gto] RE: Serial port connectivity issues

Thanks for all the good feedback. With the exception of a serial adapter that is not Prolific-based (the one I connected the second port of the 900), everything else is on the Keyspan now. The idea was to use the second serial port on the mount as a backup connection in case the first one failed. For true redundancy, I thought I would connect it somewhere outside the Keyspan serial hub, in case that went belly-up. Even better would be a standby laptop, but I have to think this through as the USB connections are physical so they can only be connected to one machine. 

I am still wondering how folks with remote setups in NM manage to not have any failures that would cost them an airline ticket to go and fix :)

CS,
Nick

---In ap-gto@..., wrote:

> I have also seen hubs be real buggy to with out astro equipment. I have found that industrial hubs based on the NEC chipset work excellent and provide windows with the correct information for each port.

Where do you get one?

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4158 / Virus Database: 3614/6743 - Release Date: 10/11/13
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4158 / Virus Database: 3614/6743 - Release Date: 10/11/13
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.