Re: Meridian Flip - Flop & Flexure compensation factor

Roland Christen

Remember that 1 degree of orthogonal error in the scope produces two degrees of error on the sky. Example: if the mount is pointing dead straight up and the scope is pointing 1 degree to the east due to mechanical orthogonal error, when the mount flips sides, it will point dead straight up, but now the scope will point 1 degree due west. Total pointing error is 2 degrees (twice the scope mechanical offset).

From: Richard Moore
To: ap-gto Sent: Thu, Sep 5, 2013 1:47 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Meridian Flip - Flop & Flexure compensation factor

Hi Joe,

If you decide to use a shim to solve your non-orthogonality, here is the
trigonometric formula for the thickness of the shim:

(thickness of the shim)  equals  (distance between fore and aft connection to
the male D plate)  times
   ( cosine( arc seconds that the target moves after the meridian flip ))

The scientific calculator on my computer required me to convert the arc seconds
to arc degrees by dividing by 3600.

I then went to the hardware store with my micrometer and measured their brass
sheet stock until I found the right combination.

Sketch the geometry of the scope and camera on both sides of the meridian to
find whether to shim fore or aft, (or just trial and error),

Good Luck

Richard