From: Leonardo Priami
To: ap-gto <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Wed, Sep 4, 2013 3:04 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Re: Frustrating guiding problem

Hi Peter,
thanks for your help.
About your suggestion:
- I see (below the PHD screen) that the bigger correction are around 150/300 ms, but only when after a few attempt the mount still remain out.

- About the exposure time I set to 3 or 4 seconds. I agree. But still I see some jumps as you can see in the pictures I show.

- I can't use the OAG in the main scope because I have only 4 mm from the 3"Wynne corrector and the filter wheel flange.

- The FSQ is piggybacked but with very strong system. I would exclude flexure.

What I suspect is some "elasticity" somewhere in the gear train that bring the motor to rotate a bit and no rotation to the worm gear.
I think that may occur some stick-slip phenomena between the worm gear and the wheel. After have  accumulated sufficient force, than the movement will take place, realizing too much movement than requested and not when requested.

What do you think about?

Thanks,

Leonardo

Il 04/09/2013 17.13, topboxman2000 ha scritto:

Hi Leonardo,

Your Max Dec Duration of 600msec may be a little too high. Check the log if Dec correction ever hit 600msec. A-P mounts are too smooth and normally have very little to no backlash so Max Dec Duration should not have to be this high. If the seeing is not good and setting Max Dec Duration a little high could cause overshooting. Try set it to as low as 75msec.

Also the Min Motion might be a little too small. Small Min Motion can send too many corrections to the mount.

Because your mount is high end, I would set the guide exposure times to at least 3 seconds to balance out the seeing and improve guide star image (higher SNR).

Can you use OAG for your bigger scope? You can get differential flexure between guide and main scope. You said the guide scope is in parallel with main scope, do you mean side by side or piggyback?

Peter