Re: V2 Driver unstable

Christopher Erickson

Just FWIW, all of the problems encountered are caused by USB and
bad/incomplete/obsolete/old USB drivers and have nothing to do with serial
itself.

Be careful what you wish for.

I, for one, would dread having a mount having a USB-only interface that is
going to be obsolete and unsupported in ten years. Think USB 1.0, USB 1.1,
SCSI, IEEE-488, Centronics, PCMCIA, CardBus, ExpressCard, ST-506, ESDI,
CardBay, IDE, PATA and Firewire.

When iOptron first came out with their mounts, they only had USB ports on
them. If you go check their support forums, about 90% of all their
technical support problems are USB and USB-driver related. Their latest
mounts have gone back to serial.

Serial may not be sexy or fast but is the safe universal denominator.

Be careful what you wish for.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics