Re: RA Drift

Donghun

I have similar experience as Jon seeing drift in RA when unguided.
Can APCC correct this?

Thank you.
Donghun

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Gralak" <groups2@...> wrote:

I believe stars do not move exactly at Sidereal rate if they are not near the Meridian.
Correct! The *apparent* movement rate of stars is slower than sidereal because of refraction.

If you were looking at the star at certain distance from the Meridian, then that might explain what I just said.
Which is why we have software to create pointing model of the sky to take into account of everything including
refraction in the sky. I don't think you can successfully take unguided long exposure images without pointing
model even with perfect polar alignment.
This is mostly true. One may get lucky in certain parts of the sky where telescope flexure, mis-polar alignment, and
refraction happen to balance themselves out, but this is usually rare. Modeling software can eliminate virtually all of
the tracking error.

-Ray Gralak
Author of Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)