900GTO slews 96hrs/1440degrees on GOTO

Christopher Erickson

As part of my personal learning curve, I have my 900GTO/GTOCP3/Q/4.17 set up
next to my desk. No OTA or counterweight shaft.

Four days ago I used the hand controller to set the tracking rate to "stop"
and have had the mount idling with the power on from then to now.

Today I used the hand controller to change the tracking rate from "Stop" to
"Side" and then commanded the mount to slew to Mercury which should have
been very-close to where it was currently pointing.

To my surprise, the RA axis did four complete revolutions before pointing
towards Mercury.

I had assumed that the mount would automatically subtract 24hrs/360deg from
the current RA position whenever it exceeded 24hr/360deg.

I assume this isn't a bug so I am looking for some insight on the logic
behind this behavior so I can better-understand my mount and how to use it
most safely and effectively.

Thanks for reading!

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer