From: Terry R. Friedrichsen <terry@venus.sunquest.com>
To: ap-gto@egroups.com
Subject: [ap-gto] 1200 GTO counterweight shaft
Date: Saturday, March 18, 2000 11:14 AM

I was allowed to place an order yesterday for the 1200 GTO mount, so I'm
going over the A-P web site with a fine-toothed comb looking for other
stuff I should get with it.

I see that there is a "special" 26.9" counterweight shaft (M12661) men-
tioned as an available option. This raised some questions:

1) what is the length of the *standard* counterweight shaft?

2) what are the dimensions of the 10 and 18 pound counterweights?

I'm planning to put a 16" Ritchey-Chretien (or possibly the LOMO
Hypergraph)
on this mount; consequently, I've ordered four 18 lb. counterweights and
one 10 lb. counterweight. I'm obviously concerned that 5 counterweights
will fit on the shaft.

I also have some of other questions:

a) A-P lists the capacity of this mount as "140 lb. instrument,
depending
on length". Do they intend this 140 lb. to include the counterweights?
Or will the mount really carry a 140 lb. instrument plus over 100 lb. of
counterweights?

b) For astrophotography, would it be advisable to stay well below the
140
lb. instrument limit or is the rating conservative enough that the mount
is
rock-solid even at the rated limit? (Yeah, aperture fever is causing me
think of going to a 20" instrument :-)

c) I see folks here talking about using the polar alignment scope, but
it
is not mentioned on the A-P web site (at least, not that I've found).
Does
it come with one? Is it an option?

Thanks for any help.

Terry R. Friedrichsen

terry@venus.sunquest.com

Enjoy 200 FREE Photos including FREE shipping to you, your
friends & family. Shutterfly delivers beautiful 35mm quality
prints from your digital camera - ready for frames or photo albums.
http://click.egroups.com/1/2144/3/_/3615/_/953406869/

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto/