Re: SERIAL PORTS (was: cannot connect gto CP3 to the SKy 6)

pgwsteve

I bought the USB to 4 port serial converter from AP and installed it into my obs. I would have random BSOD occurrences that would really mess up an imaging session. It got to a point where I could no longer make it through an evening so I had to investigate the issue in depth with the help of the IT guy I employ. Using a special viewer to look at the dump file related to the crash, a driver related to the event kept showing up, WDS84 or something IIRC, I could check if needed.

I verified it was the Tripplite driver and filled out a tech support request on their site. Needless to say I spoke to a tech and they stated that Windows 7 wasn't supported, and it was unlikely it would be. By the end if the day I had a 2 port RS232 card installed and no BSOD since.

I agree with the uselessness of USB for all applications other than picture download. The Ethernet port on some SBIG cameras is interesting.

--- In ap-gto@..., "Christopher Erickson" <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

USB appears to be simple to the user but is incredibly-complex to the
developer. RS-232 is simple for developers, especially since it is
built-into just about all microcontrollers.

When the data-rate is low, RS-232 is the fastest, cheapest and most
reliable interface to implement in microcontroller-based devices.

All of the USB-to-Serial problems I have ever investigated to date have
been related to brand-X adapters, their junky drivers or because the
user installed the wrong drivers for his/her particular OS.

I hope this helps.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics