Re: SERIAL PORTS (was: cannot connect gto CP3 to the SKy 6)

Christopher Erickson

I agree that Ethernet/TCP/IP would be a good choice to eventually-replace
RS-232 serial. Ethernet/TCP/IP is much more stable, extendable and reliable
interface choice than is USB.

USB has built-in obsolescence. The vast majority of USB devices are
disposable junk and nobody cares if you have to buy a new $100 printer every
couple of years. That is a completely different scenario than a $10-20,000
telescope mount.

Computers and laptops these days are geared to the average consumer that no
longer has an understanding or need to interface to serial devices. We
high-tech astro-geeks are now a minority that has to deal with the
limitations of mainstream products for our specialized applications.

Personally, I would rather take a few steps to improve/upgrade the
disposable, mainstream products so they will work with my premium astro
gear, versus asking the makers of my premium astro-gear to turn their
products into disposable objects.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer
Summit Kinetics