Re: cannot connect gto CP3 to the SKy 6

George LaBelle

Really you guys. Let's be honest here. Any new designs should use USB. It is the industry standard for plug-and-play communications (has been for quite a while). Many computers, mostly laptops, do not have serial ports any more for good reason - nothing new uses it. Adapters are troublesome.

I am surprised if the AP1600 or 3600 does not use USB.

George

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Gralak" <groups1@...> wrote:

Hi Gerald,

I bought a new Win7 Asus high end laptop dedicated solely for imaging. I know of no current laptop that comes
with a dedicated serial port. Mine didn't. These new laptops replace the desktop pretty much these days,
particularly in the field.
Laptops with serial ports still exist. For instance, some of the Panasonic Toughboooks still have a serial port which
might have been a better choice than your Asus for outdoor environments - I wouldn't want to use my high-end 17"
Alienware outdoors.

Also, many of the Dell laptops have docking stations with COM ports. Probably other manufacturers have docking stations.

-Ray Gralak
Author of Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)