Re: 600gto for astrophotography

Bob Luffel <bluffel@...>

A 60mm guidescope can certainly work for manual guiding, though my preference
has been 80mm. I prefer to select a guidestar that is within the
field of the image, to minimize the chances of field rotation (good polar
alignment is important). An 80mm just gives you a brighter selection of stars,
at a high enough magnification (200X or higher) to make guiding easier.

In any case, a 60mm guidescope is pretty cheap and you can always upgrade later.

Bob Luffel

Hello fellow astrophotographers,
I've the 6oogto with 130f6 and use a 60mm guide scope combo. I'm new at
this game and have only tried 15 min. shots so far. I'm using the
wooden tripod for now. When I move up to the 155f7 EDFS I understand
the 900 would be a much more stable platform. To get the most out of
the 6oo mount I will get the pier. AP is sold out of 48in piers for a
couple of months, so I was wondering if anybody is using the 54in pier
with the 600gto/155f7 combo? I'm 6ft tall, but wonder if the 54in pier
will be too tall?
Assuming only 35mm format and lets say winds no more than 5mph, what is
your definition of casual vs. serious astrophotgraphy limits? I'm sure
I fall into the casual catagory since more than 75% of my time is
visual. If I have the paitence I would like to work my way up to 60min.
manually guided shots.
Can I get by with the 60mm guide scope with the 155 for manual guiding?
I would appreciate any comments on this setup.
Stephen

Enjoy 200 FREE Photos including FREE shipping to you, your
friends & family. Shutterfly delivers beautiful 35mm quality
prints from your digital camera - ready for frames or photo albums.
http://click.egroups.com/1/2144/3/_/3615/_/953272268/

-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=ap-gto&m=1