Re: 600 GTO payload capacity

Douglas W. Forehand <Doug.Forehand@...>

From: "Rich N." <rnapo@znet.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 14:50:49 -0800

A C14 on a G11 mount is quite stable for visual use.
So does anyone believe there is cause for concern about the long
term reliability of the motors and bearings in either the G11
or the AP600GTO when loaded with the mass of a C14 + counterweights ?

Why push a very nice, not inexpensive, mount like
the AP600GTO by loading it down with a C14?
I agree.
As far as me and my 600GTO are concerned its an academic question.

Apparently the G11 is designed to take a heavy load.
That is my understanding as well. However being an engineer I'm
interested in what design features Losmandy optimized (bearings,
high torque motors,...). So far all I've heard leads me to the
conclusion that there really isn't a significant difference between
the CAPABILITIES of the mounts; just their specs.

It is also relatively inexpensive. If I couldn't afford one of the
larger AP mounts I would feel much better taking a chance with the
less expensive G11.
Although the GOTO G11 is none too cheap at $3595.

-Doug

USPS: Douglas W. Forehand INTERNET: dwf@Eng.Sun.Com
Sun Microsystems Inc. VOICE: (408) 774-8015
901 San Antonio Road, MS USUN02-101 FAX: (408) 774-2098
Palo Alto, California 94303-4900