Re: transporting Mach1/puklse guide

Howard Hedlund

Hi Suresh,

The clutches in the Mach1GTO are different from those in the 900 or 1200
series mounts. There are no clutch plugs to deform in the Mach1GTO.
Therefore, clutch tightness is not a critical issue for transport or
storage. For practical reasons, I handle it much like Rick. I don't
want the clutches loose enough that the mount can move unexpectedly as I
am handling it, but I want to be able to move the axes if I need to. I
know that I over-use this term, but "snug" just seems to fit.

PulseGuide has documentation on the CD. You can also find the
documentation on www.pulseguide.com <http://www.pulseguide.com/> .
Don't confuse PulseGuide, PEMPro and SmartGuide. PulseGuide is a
complete mount control utility. It can be used to do virtually anything
that the keypad does in terms of controlling the mount. The only thing
it lacks in comparison to the keypad is the object database.
PulseGuide is named for its feature of pulsed guiding that allows you to
track objects at a non-sidereal rate or that have some motion in
declination. SmartGuide is a "light" version of this pulsed guiding
that is contained in the keypad. It is adequate if you are observing
without a PC in the mix, but PulseGuide will give much better results on
such moving targets.

PEMPro is for measuring, analyzing and recording periodic error (among
other things). Once a PE curve is loaded into the servo, PEMPro no
longer needs to be running to use the PE correction. You simply turn
the correction on or off with the keypad, or PulseGuide, or the V2 ASCOM
driver. Just be sure that you don't tell the mount to record a new PE
curve unless you really intend to do so! Your Mach1GTO will arrive
with a PE curve loaded into the servo that was generated by PEMPro
during our testing of the mount. If you turn PEM on in the keypad, it
is this curve that will be used to correct periodic error.

PEMPro, PulseGuide and the new V2 ASCOM driver are all the
brain-children of Ray Gralak. PulseGuide and the ASCOM driver are
free. Your mount will have a CD with PulseGuide and the necessary links
for the ASCOM driver. PEMPro is not included with the Mach1GTO, but
can be purchased from our website or from CCDWare.

Mag. 7 skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

815-282-1513