From: "observe_m13" <JunkMailGoesHere@...>
To: <ap-gto@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:15 AM
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: Cleaning AP155 outside tube - How To ?

Apparently you could also use things like margarine, peanut butter, canola
or virtually any cooking oil, etc. Same process with possibly a bit more
elbow work required, just take your time. All of these will require some
dish soap and water clean-up.

Rick.

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, Hank Sielski <hsielski@> wrote:

Rick,

In addition to what Kent recommends, you might try alcohol (isopropol or
ethanol, but probably methanol, too would be OK).

I would NOT try any of the stronger things that Kirk mentions on my AP155
(late 90's pebble finish), especially acetone, as these are designed to
soften paints...

Hank

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 7:57 PM, <kgkirkley@> wrote:

Rick:

A mild solvent should do it.
"GooGone" or even WD40.

Most people think of WD40 as a lubricant but it actually works as a
solvent

too.

You could use stronger solvents like laquer thinner, mineral spirits,
acetone, Mek, etc. but you begin running the possibility of damaging
the
paint.

On that note, early AP155's were 'painted' with a shiney Corvette white
paint.
I would be very careful if yours is one of these.
Later ones were some very hard European pebble finish paint that is
especially impervious.
No problem with the later ones.

Kent Kirkley

In a message dated 2/17/2010 8:36:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,
rickwiggins@ <rickwiggins%40earthlink.net> writes:

Hi,
I recently removed my AP155 from my observatory. There is "gunk" on the
outside of the tube from the rings. It is probably the glue that was
used
glue the felt to the rings.
Anyway, I am wondering what is the best agent/solvent to use to clean
the
tube without damaging the paint? Should it be only soap and water or
can I
use something stronger on the really gunked up area.
Thanks, Rick