Re: is there a right-handed, northern-hemisphere, bottom-heavy DOVELM16?

Rick Thurmond

Thanks, Joe and danke, Konstantin,
The circular cutout on the bottom of the DOVELM16 would probably
prevent me from moving the holes. It looks like the DOVELM162 solves
the problem, though as of now I'm not even sure I have a problem. If
an additional inch at the top of the dovetail was supported it is
unlikely I'd notice the difference. So for now I think I'll stick
with what I have.

Rick

On Nov 7, 2009, at 5:30 11PM, Joseph Zeglinski wrote:

Hi Rick,

I had precisely the same problem back in 2007 when I got my AP-900,
and
the DOVELM8 hole pattern was drilled offset in the "inconvenient"
direction
for my OTA. I needed to lift up my Questar coming out of its case,
with the
focuser in my left hand and deposit it into the saddle. The original
saddle
hole pattern was only convenient if you were facing the mount, with
the
focuser at your right hand. I think that is how Celestrons, Meades,
and
possibly AP scopes are packed in their cases.

This was not going to work, since with the DOVELM8 positioned
"forward"
on the mount, the knobs would be along the bottom, and the plate tip-
in
along the top. Even if I tried to use the standard saddle
unmodified, with
the knobs turned out so I could drop in the plate, there was the
risk of its
tipping out, and also, I would be screwing the knobs upward, against
the
full weight of the OTA. It just was not right, for my setup.

My solution was to take the saddle to a machine shop and have a
"duplicate pair" of holes (for the existing quad hole set), offset
on the
OTHER end of the saddle. After describing my problem and fix to AP,
the
new DOVELM8 version now has the extra holes. I suspect you need to
do the
same thing, though you may need the FULL quad set of holes drilled and
counter bored like the others, since your DOVELM16 is longer than my
DOVELM8.

Hope this helps.
Joe