Re: Transporting counterweights- best method?

Don Anderson

That's a great way to go Jerry. I looked at these on their website. Haven't seen anything better out there. However not cheap though!
Don

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry A. Wilson" <JerryAWilson@...> wrote:

Don

The AP counterweight shaft is equivalent to a counterweight but not
so conveniently compact. I store and transport my AP 900 in two
Scope Guard cases. These cases are an earlier version I was
told. The DEC housing case has a long second compartment in it. I
lay the counterweight shaft at the bottom of this compartment and
pile the other, lighter paraphernalia on top (things like the
alignment scope, hand controller and cables). I move the two cases
around with a small dolly.

Jerry

. At 08:18 PM 10/1/2009, you wrote:

Fernando
No question there are several ways to transport Counter Wts. I use a
10"x13"x8" wooden box made from 1/2" plywood with hinged lid and
handle on the top(X oilfield instrument case)to transport my 10lb &
two 5lb wts. I lined it with the foam that came with the mount
shipping boxes. Works well. This box was custom made for the
original instrument so not an off the shelf item.
On related note, there is the question of how do you package the Dec
counter Wt shaft for transport? I found the original AP paper
shipping tube to be inconvenient and not very durable. So I made my
own out of 2" ABS pipe & fittings. I made a handle out of some nylon
cord and rubber gas line hose. You can view the pictures of my shaft
tote in my photo album on this site it is called "Don's AP900".
Bill of Materials
2" x 14" ABS sewer pipe
2"ABS end cap
2" Glue to thread collar
2"ABS threaded cap
2ft nylon cord
1/4" rubber gas line hose or equivalent.
Hope this is of some use to the group
Cheers
Don

--- In <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>ap-gto@yahoogroups.com,
"yahglabelle" <george.labelle@> wrote:

Fernando, for years I have used the soft, insulated, "six pack"
carriers designed to carry a 6-pack of Coke or beer. I can fit up
to 3, but usually limit it to 2 18# weights. They have a shoulder
strap and are soft. The advantage is that you don't take chips out
of walls or dent floors while transporting.

For the same reason, I've used army surplus duffle bags with foam
inserts to carry the disassembled mount.

George
Aloha,
Oregon

--- In <mailto:ap-gto%40yahoogroups.com>ap-gto@yahoogroups.com,
"fernandorivera3" <fernandorivera3@> wrote:

Greetings! This summer, I took delivery of brand new AP 1200GTO
mount. My setup will be portable, not permanent. I will be ordering
different size counterweights for my mount soon. What I want to
know is what is preferred for transporting counterweights to
favorite dark site? Should I use the boxes they come in, or perhaps
a pluck foam case? Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

Regards,

Fernando