From: "Rick K" <JunkMailGoesHere@...>
To: <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 3:41 PM
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: Autoconnect: No

This isn't quite true but it doesn't really matter as far as polar
aligning goes. The PAS does rotate with the rotation of the RA axis on
the 900 and 1200. In fact, it is the method used to align the PAS to
the polar axis of these mounts. It does not rotate with the rotation
of the Mach1GTO so accurate alignment of the PAS cannot be done in
this manner. To extremely accurately align the PAS on a Mach1, one has
to reverse the process. Polar align the scope using a drift method. Do
NOT use the PAS. Then, once the mount is polar aligned, shim the PAS
to align it to the mount.

Rick.

--- In ap-gto@..., Dean S <dean@...> wrote:

On both my mach1 and 1200 it does not rotate worm the mount. And once
aligned it will always be correct when pointing at Polaris.

And as William said, it should not take long to set it anyways.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 1, 2009, at 9:12 AM, "Joseph Zeglinski"
<J.Zeglinski@...> wrote:

Hi Dean,

I can go and triple check, but I'm pretty certain the polar axle
carrying the screwed in polar scope rotates.
The "exception is the Mach-1", I believe, in which the PAS does not
move,
since if it did the cables through the RA axle would twist.
Otherwise, if you are slow and meticulous in aligning both Polaris
and the
two dimmer stars, you would be chasing them and correcting all
night, since
they rotate in the polar scope's field of view.

Joe