From: "Mark Squicquero" <docsquic@...>
To: <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 6:40 AM
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: An easier Pasillx N & S Polar Alignment method

Joseph,

The reticle does appear in the video quite well. I have the Pasill plugged into the mount controller and set to the lowest setting, which is still too bright sometimes. I will turn the reticle on and off to aquire the two fainter stars and then approximate their positions. I find the camera, which is definitely not a low light camera, gets very grainey as it gets darker. The best views occur just before full darkness, at least in this camera. I won't be at the scope until next weekend since it's at my vacation home (much darker there :-) . The whole setup actually worked better than I expected and really didn't cost much since I bought everything on Ebay. It took me about 1/2 hour to make the adapter after a quick trip to Home Depot and a walk down the plumbing isle. The entire setup is small and very portable and most importantly self contained. It actually makes the polar alignment process very easy, at least for initial Pasill
alignment. With the right camera and fine enough control over the reticle brightness this could be a really neat comercial product for those of us who hate to kneel before our AP1200's ;-)

Mark